.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ramblings of the Forever-12-Year-Old

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Rambling 051011

Here are what I did over the past week and weekend...

1. Finished 山田孝之's Doramas "Water Boys I" and "Fire Boys"

They were both pretty good and both touched me (meaning: brought tears to my eyes) in various points of the story.
"Water Boys" is about 5 very different high school boys in their senior year determined to perform Synchronized Swimming -- a stereotypically female team sport -- during their school's 學園祭. It was of course inspired by the movie version starring 妻夫木聰, and the story line is roughly similar where they face a lot of difficulties and, by overcoming each one, become more and more skilled, determined, confident, and close to each other. It is basically an inspirational story. Although the storyline is somewhat cliche, still, it is done pretty well, and the final preformance just makes you so excited about the youth and energy they show. You can read more of my thoughts here and go to the Taiwan TV station (緯來日本) official info page here.
"Fire Boys" is the story of a young firefighter, I hear that it is also adapted from a Manga. Almost the complete opposite from his role in Water Boys, 山田孝之's main role is a completely 熱血, totally 做事不經頭腦、一切憑本能、凡事相信只要拼命去做一定可以成功 type of young guy who was once rescued by a heroic firefighter and determined to become one himself. It is interesting in that it shows a lot of the hardships firefighters face in their work and personal lives. The fire scenes are done very realistically, which again impressed me on how delicated the Japanese people are to perfecting their products.
I like Water Boys more than Fire Boys because it is an overall happier, mood-lifting, story. There are a lot of funny parts, and, alas, nothing much can beat watching a bunch of young guys dancing to cheerful music in only swimming trunks! LOL~ (Both theme songs are great listens, too! XD)

2. Taichung Visit
Went back home this past weekend, stayed in Taichung both nights.
I found out last week that Justine is currently in Taiwan, so arranged to hang out with her on Saturday. We had some food in the afternoon, then went shopping for underwear (big sale!) at 中友百貨, got some pretty inexpensive brand-name stuff. Looking forward to her visit to Taipei next time to have more good food... ^_<
On Sunday, I went to 彰化 by train with a junior high school friend, 淑瓊, to visit 筱苓 (Sonia). The three of us were best friends in Junior high school and have kept in touch throughout all these 16 years. (Yes, it is still shocking and depressing to realize that we are all so old already... -.-) Sonia is in her 4th month of pregnancy, her tummy is starting to show a little, she is fortunately over the 害喜 period, and has just completed an examination that informed us that the baby is a girl! (I have already suggested we let her daughter and my nephew Jason 指腹為婚, mwah~) We had 彰化肉圓 for lunch, and Sonia's hubby, also my high school classmate for one semester, drove us to 八卦山 for some walking and sight-seeing, cheerfully chatting away all the time. Then we went to a cafe for some afternoon tea before my dad picked me up to go home.
It was, overall, a weekend of catching-up with old friends... I am very happy and grateful that even after such long periods of time, we all kept in touch and are all able to chat and talk about various topics and understand each other well. I am certain this kind of friends are the kind that you are able to maintain for a lifetime! ^________^

3. 國慶日 Movie and Dinner with Cindy and Laifu
Cindy, Laifu, Christine and I went to see the new Japanese big budget Ninja movie "Shinobi" (Shinobi Yahoo info page) on Monday, one of the rare National Holidays, 雙十國慶, that we actually had a day off this year because it is not on a weekend. The movie is pretty good, although we all feel that there wasn't enough time to focus on each of the unique and interesting Ninja special characters. However, it is a movie aftar all, and can't afford to spend too much time on secondary characters... (For the complete story, you can check out the manga or the animated series, or even read the original novel for yourself, lor! XD) To me, it feels like a generally well done movie. The special effects are nice, and fight scenes pretty impressive. Mostly, the settings and nature scenes are a very beautiful, and, of course, there are the handsome 小田切讓 and 仲間由紀惠 to look at... hee hee... If you have the chance, check it out, lor~
Another memorable thing we saw was the preview of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" which will be in theatres on Nov. 18. From the preview, it seems really good! Although I prefer the kids to stay young (much cuter that way.... >3<), but, they are growing up as human nature and the story line intended. Compared to the three previous volumes, GoF is significant in its large scale especially because of the Tri-Wizard competition -- lots of creatures lots of big, exciting adventure scenes. At least from the preview, it seems that the special effects are living up to the hype, so I am extremely looking forward to watching it! XD
Afterwards, we had dinner at Bellini Pasta, a really good Japanese style Italian Pasta (yeah, I know, it doesn't make much sense to me either... XD) chain restaurant. We had some good conversation to go with the good food, and went home satisfied (after some more underwear-shopping... ha ha... 'tis the season for underwear sales! XD). Although it is the first time I met Laifu, he turned out to be an extremely friendly and easy-going person! Nice to meet you, Laifu! ^^~

Well, wasn't that an extremely long rambling? *whew~* XD

As always, leave me comments of your thoughts or just to say "hi", lah! >\\\\\<

3 Comments:

  • I never thought this would happen... But I just fell in love with a movie because of it's website... = =a

    When I posted this blog earlier, I searched for some information sites to link to, but I hadn't really checked out all of them very thoroughly...

    Just now, I went through the "Shinobi" official movie website... and even though it is all in Japanese except the menu, I fell in love with the movie more than when I watched the actual movie itself... I am close to tears!! It is sooooooooooo beautiful~~~~~~~ >\\\\\\\\\<
    You guys HAVE TO browse through it, lah~~

    By Blogger Cutie Sushi, at Tuesday, October 11, 2005 11:07:00 PM  

  • wow 八卦山...gotta get some people on that mountain...

    By Blogger sophia, at Wednesday, October 12, 2005 9:00:00 PM  

  • Weird how I never thought about the name of the mountain that way... @.@" But, hey, we actually did talk about some 八卦 of old schoolmates while walking around on that mountain! XD Coincidence? Doesn't look like it, neh... scary~~~

    By Blogger Cutie Sushi, at Wednesday, October 12, 2005 9:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 


hits
see web stats